This week’s recipe is courtesy of food blog The Awesome Green. Originally made with poached egg, we’ve decided to scratch that from the ingredients list for a vegan and pregnancy-friendly recipe.
Tasty, healthy and beautiful, it’s so colourful, it’ll have you thinking spring has come early.
Time: 25 minutes cooking
Good for: Vitamins A, B6, C and K, folate, potassium, fibre, protein, iron, calcium, zinc
1 medium sweet potato, peeled and cut in small cubes
1 small carnival squash, peeled and cut in small cubes (substitute with butternut squash if you can’t find the carnival variety)
1 cup cooked black beans
1 cup canned tomatoes
½ cup filtered water
1 cup fresh spinach leaves
1 onion, finely diced
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 tsp coconut oil
1 tbsp turmeric
½ tsp pink Himalayan salt (you can find this in Sainsbury’s, thanks to Jamie Oliver)
¼ tsp chili flakes
1 bunch fresh parsley, finely chopped
1 ripe avocado, peeled and cut in slices
• Heat the coconut oil in a large cast iron skillet. Add the onion and garlic and fry over low heat heat for two minutes.
• Add the sweet potato and squash cubes and cook for five minutes, stirring from time to time with a wooden spoon.
• Pour over the tomato juice, add turmeric and chili flakes, cover with a lid and simmer for ten minutes.
• Add the black beans, season with salt, stir to combine and cook for five more minutes.
• Add the spinach leaves, stir to combine and remove from the heat. Serve in bowls with avocado slices and chopped parsley.
And that’s that! Bon apetite!