#RecipeSaviours: Sweet Potato Stew With Spinach, Squash and Avocado
Bright and tasty!
This week’s recipe is courtesy of food blog The Awesome Green. Originally made with poached egg, we’ve decided to scratch that from the ingredients list for a vegan and pregnancy-friendly recipe.
Tasty, healthy and beautiful, it’s so colourful, it’ll have you thinking spring has come early.
Time: 25 minutes cooking
Good for: Vitamins A, B6, C and K, folate, potassium, fibre, protein, iron, calcium, zinc
1 medium sweet potato, peeled and cut in small cubes
1 small carnival squash, peeled and cut in small cubes (substitute with butternut squash if you can’t find the carnival variety)
1 cup cooked black beans
1 cup canned tomatoes
½ cup filtered water
1 cup fresh spinach leaves
1 onion, finely diced
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 tsp coconut oil
1 tbsp turmeric
½ tsp pink Himalayan salt (you can find this in Sainsbury’s, thanks to Jamie Oliver)
¼ tsp chili flakes
1 bunch fresh parsley, finely chopped
1 ripe avocado, peeled and cut in slices
• Heat the coconut oil in a large cast iron skillet. Add the onion and garlic and fry over low heat heat for two minutes.
• Add the sweet potato and squash cubes and cook for five minutes, stirring from time to time with a wooden spoon.
• Pour over the tomato juice, add turmeric and chili flakes, cover with a lid and simmer for ten minutes.
• Add the black beans, season with salt, stir to combine and cook for five more minutes.
• Add the spinach leaves, stir to combine and remove from the heat. Serve in bowls with avocado slices and chopped parsley.
And that’s that! Bon apetite!
Leave a comment
Comments will be approved before showing up.
Also in Blog
Pregnancy can be a challenge and there are a lot of pressures. Many women find themselves dealing with body image issues during pregnancy.
We thought we’d share five ways to help boost body confidence and avoid body image issues during pregnancy.