In honour of Father’s Day we thought we’d focus on a subject that often gets forgotten: dads and the importance of them bonding with their newborn babies.
It’s been scientifically proven that babies and young children want to bond with their dads just as much as their mums. Whilst some dads bond with their newborn within minutes, others can take a while longer to make that connection. There’s no need to worry, both are perfectly natural. However long bonding takes research shows that, by keeping close to baby during those early months, dads will develop a good relationship with their baby that will last throughout childhood.
Our top ten tips to help dads bond with baby:
- Sing or read to baby – using eye to eye contact whenever possible.
- Cuddle and talk to baby.
- Massage baby – this will improve baby’s sense of hearing, touch, sight and motion as well as create more intimacy between dad and baby.
- Skin to skin cuddles with gentle stroking.
- Mirror baby’s movements.
- Echo baby’s coos and gurgles.
- Play with baby, physical games such as flying the baby, blowing raspberries and peek-a-boo.
- Talk to baby just as you would an older child.
- Bath and change nappies.
- Carry baby in a front facing baby carrier as often as possible when you’re out and about.
Win a free BabyBjorn Baby Carrier We: It gets our vote for best baby carrier for men!
This BabyBjorn Baby Carrier We is a great carrier for dads of all sizes.
With a waist belt to help with back support, this carrier is super comfortable to wear (especially long-term) and sturdy, with adjustable head support. It allows your child to be carried ergonomically against your chest or on your back. The carrier can simply be swivelled round from front to back while your child remains safely in the carrier.
Perfect dad bonding material if you ask us!
We’re offering one lucky customer a free BabyBjorn Baby Carrier We to celebrate Father’s Day.
We’d love to hear about any other great baby bonding tips you have