Celebrate National Picnic Week with this quick and classic recipe
As it’s National Picnic Week this week (raining evidence to the contrary!), we thought we’d share this classic recipe from Good Housekeeping to mark the occasion. And if it doesn’t stop raining, there’s no rule against having picnics in bed.
Time: 15 minutes prep (plus 20 minutes marinating), 20 minutes cooking
Good for: Protein, Omega-3 fatty acids
2 tbsp olive oil, plus extra to fry
Juice of 1 lemon
4 level tbsp roughly chopped flat-leafed parsley
3 level tbsp Dijon mustard
2 skinless boneless chicken breasts, around 250g
1 olive ciabatta loaf
100g bag salad
Balsamic vinegar to drizzle
• Mix together the olive oil, lemon juice, parsley and mustard in a large shallow bowl and season well. Put to one side.
• Put one chicken breast between two pieces of clingfilm and bash heavily with a rolling pin to flatten. Repeat with the other chicken breast.
• Add the chicken to the oil and lemon mixture and toss to coat. Cover and chill for at least 20min.
• Heat a griddle pan to a high heat, add a little olive oil and fry chicken for 5-8min on each side or until cooked through.
• Cut the ciabatta in two, then split open and toast on the griddle.
• Toss the salad in a little balsamic vinegar and put on the bread; add the chicken. Top with the other half of the ciabatta.
And that’s that! Enjoy!